Disney CEO Bob Iger says that there are a lot more Star Wars shows coming to the small screen. The news comes after it was announced that the franchise will be taking a break on the big screen for at least a few years. Disney and Lucasfilm officially announced 3 future release dates in May of this year, but it is unclear if those dates will stick. The first Star Wars live-action series, The Mandalorian, is preparing to launch on Disney+ next week, on November 12.
In addition to The Mandalorian, the Rogue One Prequel series, and the upcoming Obi-Wan Kenobi series, Bob Iger says there are three more shows currently in development. However, it is unclear what these new shows are just yet. With that being said, there are plenty of ideas that Star Wars fans would like to see on the small screen. There have been whispers of a possible Solo series, though that has not been confirmed by anyone and is considered to be speculation.
As far as Disney+ is concerned, the Star Wars franchise can go just about anywhere. The Mandalorian will probably be the test to see if fans are into the idea. Disney and Lucasfilm seem pretty confident about it since season 2 has already been green lit. So far, the buzz has been pretty strong with a number of fans stating that they're more excited about the series than they are The Rise of Skywalker. It has a mysterious vibe about it, which is part of the allure. It also has a dark feel to it, which is something that old school fans like.
Obviously, Star Wars fans are looking forward to the return of Ewan McGregor in the Obi-Wan Kenobi series. This could end up being the biggest of the announced shows so far. McGregor had to basically lie about the project for years when asked about it, and was attached back when it was going to be a movie. The Rogue One series may also be pretty big for the Disney+ streaming platform. However, we'll have to wait and see how all of these shows are received by the fans upon their release.
As for the three mystery shows, those could be any number of things. Maybe a Yoda series, or something that focuses on young Princess Leia. Perhaps even a new standalone show based on Ewoks or Droids? Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss were reportedly working on a trilogy based on the early days of the Jedi, which could make for a good series too. Or, maybe they go with some of the newer characters like Snoke or the Knights of Ren. For now, these possible new shows are in the earliest stages of development and have yet to be officially announced. One can imagine will get some more news after The Mandalorian premieres next week. Bob Iger's words on the new Star Wars shows were first reported by Variety writer Brent Lang's Twitter account.
Disney CEO Bob Iger says #StarWars feature films will go on "into a hiatus" following #RiseofSkywalker. Says there will be lots of activity on TV front, mentions 3 series in the works for #DisneyPlus.— Brent Lang (@BrentALang) November 7, 2019