Could the Conners continue on without Roseanne Barr? ABC was swift to cancel Roseanne in the wake of racist comments the star posted to Twitter recently. The decision has been mostly met with praise by those in the entertainment industry, but there are those who are sad that the actions of one person have affected everyone working on the show, such as the rest of the cast. Well, it turns out ABC may be looking at a way to keep the rest of The Conner family on the air.
ABC had already renewed Roseanne for another season following incredible ratings for the first season of the revival. But with the cancellation, they're going to have a big hole to fill in their schedule next season. According to a new report, the network would like to keep John Goodman, Laurie Metcalf and other members of the cast on board for a spin-off of sorts, if possible. But that presents a whole host of challenges.
Roseanne Barr created the show and co-created the characters with Matt Williams. That means, were ABC to just turn the show into something like The Corners, for example, without Barr, she would still benefit greatly. She would still need to be given credit and that means she would also still be getting paid in such a scenario. ABC would likely need to rebrand the show somehow, but they could still possibly keep the cast and even the creative team in place for whatever form this new spin-off could potentially take. Nothing has been confirmed by the network at this point, but considering something like this would make a good deal of sense, as long as they can make sure Barr is in no way involved or profiting from it.
Following the cancellation, Barr took to Twitter to apologize and tried to blame her comments on Ambien, but the damage was already done. Paramount Network and Hulu, among other channels and services, even decided to pull Roseanne reruns from their lineup as a result. ABC Television Group president Ben Sherwood sent out a statement to his staff, stating his regret over the fact that the cast and crew aren't going to be able to continue on.
"Much has been said and written about yesterday's decision to cancel the Roseanne show. In the end, it came down to doing what's right and upholding our values of inclusion, tolerance, and civility. Not enough, however, has been said about the many men and women who poured their hearts and lives into the show and were just getting started on next season. We're so sorry they were swept up in all of this and we give thanks for their remarkable talents, wish them well, and hope to find another way to work together down the road. The last 24 hours have also been a powerful reminder of the importance of words in everything we do, online and on the air. And the responsibility of using social media, and all of our programs and platforms, with careful thought, decency and consideration. Today we move forward, together, full speed."
ABC would have to pay cancellation fees to the cast and crew of Roseanne, unless they find a way to salvage the situation. But the real loss comes from the ad revenue they're going to miss out on next season. With that in mind, putting together a spin-off with the remaining talent they have could work, but they also don't want to find themselves in the middle of an ugly situation.
Ben Sherwoood just sent this out to ABC staff re: Roseannepic.twitter.com/UPOggwC7k1— Oliver Darcy (@oliverdarcy) May 30, 2018
Some high profile celebs want to rescue Roseanne and its cast members, including Mindy Kaling, Lena Dunham and others.
Laurie Metcalf and John Goodman let me write things for you— Mindy Kaling (@mindykaling) May 30, 2018
I will do the spin off of your show starring Darlene’s cool kids https://t.co/5A2129BTl0— 💎 Lena Dunham 💎 (@lenadunham) May 30, 2018