Amazon's Lord of the Rings TV show is currently casting, so those who have always dreamed of taking a trip to Middle Earth may want to listen up. Though the casting call, in its own words, is looking for "funky looking people." Scars, burns, overbites, missing limbs, deformities. These qualities and more are what is needed for the streamer's massive adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's works.
The casting call was recently released by the BGT talent agency on Facebook. Specifically, they are seeking people between the ages of 18 and 65 who are available and have working rights in New Zealand to fill roles in the series. No specific roles were mentioned in the casting notice. Per BGT, here is what they are looking for.
"Funky Looking people needed! (if you are with BGT do not apply as we have already submitted you if suitable). Tag a friend who might fit the role. Please read on...... Do you have an overbite, face burns, long skinny limbs, deep cheekbones, lines on your face, acne scars, ears that stick out, bulbous or interesting noses, small eyes, big eyes, any deformities, Skinny faces, missing limbs? Do you look unusual? Must be aged from 18 - 65 male and female, any Ethnicity."
The catch is that people applying must be in New Zealand. So that is somewhat limiting for those who may have dreams of playing a hobbit or an orc. BGT explained in further detail some of what they are looking for. This includes short people, tall people, androgynous individuals, hairy folks, circus performers and more.
- We are looking for the following roles. What number are you!
- 1. short people under 4 foot 12 (we know that 4 foot 12 is 5 foot)
- If this is you please call Evelina on 021-398-727
- 2. Tall people over 6 foot 5 - If this is you please call Evelina on 021 - 398-727 now.
- 3. Character faces, wrinkles and lots of them please
- 4. Androgynous men and women
- 5. Hairy hairy people of all ages and ethnicities
- 6. Tall, Long Lithe dancers
- 7. Circus performers who can juggle, stilt walk!
- 8. Stocky mean-looking bikers
- 9. Eurasian people of all ages.
- 10. Hispanic - Latino, Mexican, South American - HOLA
- 11. Red heads all ages, shapes and sizes.
- 12. Hair hair hair - if you natural red hair, white hair, or lots and lots of freckles.
Amazon had begun filming on Lord of the Rings (which doesn't have an official title yet) earlier in the year. Unfortunately, production was forced to shut down in the interest of public health. But New Zealand recently allowed for movie and TV production to resume, so things are getting back on track. The cast includes Robert Aramayo, Markella Kavenagh, Joseph Mawle, Maxim Baldry and Morfydd Clark.
Plot details largely remain scarce, but it will be a prequel taking place in the Second Age before the events of The Hobbit or the Lord of the Rings trilogy covered in Peter Jackson's movies. J.A. Bayona (Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom) is set to direct the first episodes. There is no word yet on a premiere date, but sometime in 2021 seems likely. We'll be sure to keep you posted as further details are made available. Feel free to check out the full casting call from the BGT Actors Models & Talent Facebook page.