TBS has announced the 11 nerds who are set to face off against each other this winter in a new season of the hit competition series King of the Nerds. Hosts Robert Carradine and Curtis Armstrong, who also serve as executive producers, will once again oversee the bigger, better and more challenging "Nerd Wars" and "Nerd-Offs" as competitors from across the nerd spectrum vie for the ultimate nerd title. This season's enhanced finale will also be decided by pure nerd skill rather than by vote. King of the Nerds will kick off its second season Thursday, Jan. 23, at 10 p.m. (ET/PT), only on TBS.
The following are the 11 competitors set to participate in the ultimate nerd-off:
- Brian, 27 - Urbana, Ill.- Library science scholar who enjoys German-style board games and discussing 18th-century European history. At one time, he had 100 books checked out from the Yale library.
- - Chris, 27 - Waco, Texas - Structural engineer who loves to travel and aspires to work in the space exploration industry.
- - Jack, 24 - Urbana, Ill. - Bioengineering student and fencing and chess champion who enjoys watching anime in Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese and Japanese.
- - Josh, 23 - Grayslake, Ill. - Game vlogger (with nearly 700,000 subscribers), nerdcore rapper and world competitor in card games.
- - Katie, 24 - Pittsburgh, Penn. - Roboticist and puppeteer whose work has appeared on Broadway and who formerly performed in ballet companies.
- - Kayla, 28 - Greenacres, Wash. - An ice hockey player who also holds a master's degree in space studies and believes she will one day reach Mars.
- - Kelsey, 23 - Canton, Ga. - Quad-lingual Japanophile who is equally as interested in playing video game music on the piano as she is keeping up with fantasy/sci-fi novels and swing dancing.
- - Mary Kate, 23 - Starkville, Miss. - Aerospace engineering student and avid costumer.
- - Nicole, 28 - Milwaukee, Wisc. - Chemist, gamer and former marching band member who currently competes in a Milwaukee roller derby league.
- - Xander, 27 - Los Angeles, Calif. - Vlogger, graphic designer and LARP enthusiast who lost 100 pounds by playing a popular dance video game.
- - Zachary, 21 - Minneapolis, Minn. - Fantasy writer and hardcore gamer who has also memorized more than 300 hours of musical lyrics in genres ranging from J-pop to rock
Guest stars set to appear throughout Season 2 of King of the Nerds include Bill Nye (Greatest Inventions with Bill Nye, Dancing with the Stars), Mayim Bialik (The Big Bang Theory), Jon Heder (Napoleon Dynamite), Kevin Sorbo (Hercules: The Legendary Journeys) and Kumail Nanjiani (Franklin & Bash). The season will also feature a Revenge of the Nerds reunion and return appearances by George Takei (Star Trek) and Yaya Han.