HBO has revealed our first official photos of the new characters in House of the Dragon, the upcoming Game of Thrones prequel series that's currently filming in the UK. Previously, the cabler announced that production had officially started on the show with images of the cast doing a table read. Soon after, images of some of the cast had leaked online, though they were unofficial and of low quality.
On Wednesday, three official images were revealed, revealing five of the House of the Dragon cast members in character. This includes Matt Smith as Prince Daemon Targaryen, Emma D'Arcy as Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen, Steve Toussaint as Lord Corlys Velaryon (also known as the Sea Snake), Olivia Cooke as Alicent Hightower, and Rhys Ifans as Otto Hightower. You can look at the images below, which have quickly been circulating throughout social media.
- HBO has also provided official character descriptions, which you can read below:
- Emma D'Arcy as "Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen": The king's first-born child, she is of pure Valyrian blood, and she is a dragonrider. Many would say that Rhaenyra was born with everything... but she was not born a man.
- Matt Smith as "Prince Daemon Targaryen": The younger brother to King Viserys and heir to the throne. A peerless warrior and a dragonrider, Daemon possesses the true blood of the dragon. But it is said that whenever a Targaryen is born, the gods toss a coin in the air...
- Steve Toussaint as "Lord Corlys Velaryon" ("The Sea Snake"): Lord of House Velaryon, a Valyrian bloodline as old as House Targaryen. As The Sea Snake, the most famed nautical adventurer in the history of Westeros, Lord Corlys built his house into a powerful seat that is even richer than the Lannisters and that claims the largest navy in the world.
- Olivia Cooke as "Alicent Hightower": The daughter of Otto Hightower, the Hand of the King, and the most comely woman in the Seven Kingdoms. She was raised in the Red Keep, close to the king and his innermost circle; she possesses both a courtly grace and a keen political acumen.
- Rhys Ifans as "Otto Hightower": The Hand of the King, Ser Otto loyally and faithfully serves both his king and his realm. As the Hand sees it, the greatest threat to the realm is the king's brother, Daemon, and his position as heir to the throne.
House of the Dragon is a spinoff of Game of Thrones, though it's set 300 years before the events of its parent series, chronicling the beginning of the end of House Targaryen. Previously, HBO had passed on another planned prequel series, but House of the Dragon has already been given a 10-episode season order. The cabler is clearly hoping to find similar success with not just this prequel series, but several others as well, as this show is one of six planned prequel projects currently in the works.
House of the Dragon is set to premiere on HBO and HBO Max sometime in 2022, with an official release date yet to be announced. The first look images come to us from the official Twitter account of House of the Dragon.