Netflix has announced that the upcoming 6th Season of its landmark original content series House of Cards will be its last. The show is currently filming the final season, which began before it was even announced that the streaming company was going to make new epsiode. Though the decision was reportedly confirmed over the summer, the news comes at a particularly bad time for House of Cards star Kevin Spacey. Spacey has been accused of unwanted sexual advances towards a minor by Star Trek: Discovery star Anthony Rapp, which has now coincided with the end of House of Cards.

Netflix and producer Media Rights Capital on Monday released a statement on Spacey. The statement reads.

"Media Rights Capital and Netflix are deeply troubled by last night's news concerning Kevin Spacey. In response to last night's revelations, executives from both of our companies arrived in Baltimore this afternoon to meet with our cast and crew to ensure that they continue to feel safe and supported. As previously scheduled, Kevin Spacey is not working on set at this time."

Kevin Spacey is the star and executive producer of House of Cards, the dramatic political series that put Netflix on the map for its original programming that has since flourished. Netflix had been quiet about the recent sexual harassment accusations in the entertainment industry until Monday afternoon.

This news comes after Kevin Spacey made the decision to come out of the closet in a statement apologizing to actor Anthony Rapp, who said in an interview that the actor attempted to sexually assault him in 1986, an incident Spacey says he does not remember. Rapp was 14-years old at the time while Spacey was 26. Many have come forward to speak out against Spacey's unorthodox way of coming out of the closet and therefore looked like a possible deflection of the serious allegations. Spacey, 54, is now being compared to Harvey Weinstein by members of Hollywood's LGBTQ community, who view his sudden openness about his sexuality as nothing more than a "calculated manipulation."

Sarah Kate Ellis, president and CEO of the gay rights group GLAAD, said in a statement that the story was really about unwanted sexual advances on Rapp not Spacey's sexuality. She said, "Coming out stories should not be used to deflect from allegations of sexual assault." Civil rights activist DeRay Mckesson said, "Kevin Spacey really tried to throw the entire LGBT community under a bus and call it solidarity in an effort to mask his personal failings." Actor Zachary Quinto called Spacey's outing, "a calculated manipulation to deflect attention from the very serious accusations."

Former House of Cards showrunner Beau Willimon, who also serves as the president of the Writers Guild of America, East, called Rapp's story "deeply troubling." Willimon had this to say.

"During the time I worked with Kevin Spacey on House of Cards, I neither witnessed nor was aware of any inappropriate behavior on set or off. That said, I take reports of such behavior seriously and this is no exception. I feel for Mr. Rapp and I support his courage."

House of Cards will end after its 6th Season next year and it appears that Kevin Spacey's actions may have been the deciding factor to publicly cancel the show so soon after the allegations were made. Read more about the cancellation of House of Cards via The Hollywood Reporter.