Just in time for Christmas, HBO will be releasing the complete series of Game of Thrones in a beautiful box set for collectors. Dubbed The Complete Collection, the set comes in a wooden shadow box with a Hand of the King pin clasp keeping it closed. It features a multi-layered panel design, with each season receiving its own layer with memorable characters and moments from that period of the show. The amazing artwork shown on each custom plated disc sleeve is from the talented artist Robert Ball, the artist behind the Beautiful Death series. It's very easy on the eyes and the box set itself is just as much a work of art as it is a complete set of the TV series.
Game of Thrones: The Complete Series will also be released at the same time as The Complete Collection. This version will feature the same content but without the collectible packaging. HBO will also be releasing Game of Thrones: Season 8 in a 4K Ultra HD and Blu-ray Steelbook, in addition to the single season DVD and Blu-ray. All of these releases will come packed with special features, and they will all be sharing the same release date as well. Look for each of the three releases to arrive on Dec. 3, 2019.
Spanning just six episodes, the eighth and final season of Game of Thrones has the task of wrapping up multiple major storylines in a short matter of time. This included the final showdown between the humans and the Night King's army of White Walkers, with the undead finally meeting their demise in the battle of Winterfell. Things grew much worse from there when tensions between Daenerys Targaryen and Cersei Lannister came to a heated boil, resulting in the complete destruction of King's Landing. The end result brought about an unexpected character being crowned king along with a few other surprises. The season wasn't without its controversy, though many longtime fans have conversely expressed their support for the series finale.
Even if you weren't thrilled with what went down in the show's final episodes, there's no denying that the journey there has been quite the ride. We've met some very interesting characters on the way, and fans can relive each one of the show's memorable storylines by binging the complete collection. For those wanting even more, the loads of bonuses included can take you behind the scenes to see how Game of Thrones really came to be. You can read on to see the art and special features for the box sets, and all three releases will officially go on sale on Dec. 3, 2019.
- Game of Thrones: The Complete Collection and Game of Thrones: The Complete Series on Blu-ray Bonus Features Include:
- • Game of Thrones: Reunion Special: A reunion show shot live in Belfast with the cast, both past and present, hosted by Conan O'Brien and available exclusively on these complete series collections. The reunion special is assembled in segments focused on Houses Lannister, Stark, & Targaryen and concludes with the key players all onstage for their final reflections on the years they shared in Westeros and Essos.
- • Bonus content and retail exclusive videos from previously released individual season box sets, totaling more than 15 hours of extra materials for fans to explore when they've finished watching the series.
- Complete Series and Season 8 formats also exclusively feature:
- • Game of Thrones: The Last Watch: A documentary featured on DVD in two parts by filmmaker Jeanie Finlay chronicling the making of the final season.
- • When Winter Falls: Exclusive 30-minute featurette with showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, along with major stars and behind-the-scenes players, breaking down all that went into the colossal filming of the "Battle of Winterfell" in Season 8, Episode 3.
- • Duty is the Death of Love: A compelling look at how the team behind Game of Thrones and its major stars, including Kit Harington, Peter Dinklage and Emilia Clarke, brought the show to its conclusion in the series finale, "The Iron Throne."
- • Audio Commentaries: 10 Audio Commentaries with cast and crew, including the show's creators, Benioff and Weiss, on the final season.
- • Deleted and Extended Scenes: 5 never-before-seen deleted or extended scenes from season 8.
- • Histories and Lore: New animated pieces giving the history and background of notable season 8 locations and storylines.
This news comes from the official HBO Game of Thrones Youtube. You can watch the trailer and behind-the-scenes retrospective here.