For the first time in 18 years, HBO is not leading the pack with Emmy nominations this year. Instead, that honor goes to Netflix, who has a total of 112 nominations compared to HBO's 108. That being said, HBO's Game of Thrones and Westworld are the shows with the most nominations with 22 and 21, respectively. NBC's Saturday Night Live also nabbed 21 nominations as well. Hulu's Handmaid's Tale is next on the list with an impressive 20 nominations.
Out of HBO's Emmy nominations, nearly half of them are from Westworld and Game of Thrones, whereas Netflix does not have any of its shows in the top ten for most nominations, but has a wider variety of shows with nominations. The number will more than likely grow for Netflix since they're about to spend $8 billion on original programming over the next year. FX drew 50 nominations, the most of any basic cable channel and NBC led all broadcast networks with 78 nominations, 21 of which were nominations coming from Saturday Night Live alone.
Game of Thrones along with The Handmaid's Tale, The Americans, The Crown, Stranger Things, This Is Us, and Westworld are all up for the Best Drama Emmy Award. The Leading Actress in a Drama nominees include Elisabeth Moss from The Handmaid's Tale, who won the award last year for the same series. Moss is joined by Claire Foy from The Crown, Keri Russell from The Americans, Evan Rachel Wood from Westworld, Tatiana Maslany from Orphan Black, and Sandra Oh from Killing Eve.
Westworld sees two Leading Actor in a Drama Emmy Award nominations with Jeffrey Wright and Ed Harris. Harris and Wright were brought up from the supporting category last year to the main category this year. NBC's This Is Us also has two nominees in the Leading Actor in a Drama category with Milo Ventimiglia and last year's winner Sterling K. Brown. Matthew Rhys joins his The Americans co-star Keri Russell with a nomination. Rounding out the Leading Actor category this year is Jason Bateman from Netflix's Ozark.
As for the Emmy Award for Best Comedy Series, Atlanta, Barry, Black-ish, Curb Your Enthusiasm, GLOW, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Silicon Valley, and The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt were all nominated. The Emmy award for Leading Actor in a Comedy nominees are Donald Glover for Atlanta, Bill Hader for Barry, Anthony Anderson for Black-ish, William H. Macy for Shameless, Larry David for Curb Your Enthusiasm, and Ted Danson for The Good Place. As for the Leading Actress in a Comedy, Pamela Adlon for Better Things, Rachel Brosnahan for The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Tracee Ellis Ross for Black-ish, Allison Janney for Mom, Lily Tomlin for Grace and Frankie, and Issa Rae for Insecure were all nominated. For a complete list of all of the 2018 Emmy Award nominations, you can head over to Variety.
Outstanding Drama Series
- "The Handmaid's Tale"
- "Game of Thrones"
- "This Is Us"
- "The Crown"
- "The Americans"
- "Stranger Things"
Outstanding Comedy Series
- "Atlanta" (FX)
- "Barry" (HBO)
- "Black-ish" (ABC)
- "Curb Your Enthusiasm" (HBO)
- "GLOW" (Netflix)
- "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" (Amazon)
- "Silicon Valley" (HBO)
- "The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt" (Netflix)
Outstanding Lead Actor In A Drama Series
- Jason Bateman ("Ozark")
- Sterling K. Brown ("This Is Us")
- Ed Harris ("Westworld")
- Matthew Rhys ("The Americans")
- Milo Ventimiglia ("This Is Us")
- Jeffrey Wright ("Westworld")
Outstanding Lead Actress In A Drama Series
- Claire Foy ("The Crown")
- Tatiana Maslany ("Orphan Black")
- Elisabeth Moss ("The Handmaid's Tale")
- Sandra Oh ("Killing Eve")
- Keri Russell ("The Americans")
- Evan Rachel Wood ("Westworld")
Outstanding Lead Actor In A Comedy Series
- Donald Glover ("Atlanta")
- Bill Hader ("Barry")
- Anthony Anderson ("Black-ish")
- William H. Macy ("Shameless")
- Larry David ("Curb Your Enthusiasm")
- Ted Danson ("The Good Place")
Outstanding Lead Actress In A Comedy Series
- Pamela Adlon ("Better Things")
- Rachel Brosnahan ("The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel")
- Tracee Ellis Ross ("Black-ish")
- Allison Janney ("Mom")
- Lily Tomlin ("Grace and Frankie")
- Issa Rae ("Insecure")
Outstanding Lead Actor In A Limited Series Or Movie
- Bryan Cranston as Lyndon B. Johnson, All The Way
- Idris Elba as DCI John Luther, Luther
- Tom Hiddleston as Jonathan Pine, The Night Manager
- Courtney B. Vance as Johnnie Cochran, The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story
- Cuba Gooding Jr. as O.J. Simpson, The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story
- Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock Holmes, Sherlock: The Abominable Bride
Outstanding Lead Actress In A Limited Series Or Movie
- Felicity Huffman as Leslie Graham, American Crime
- Lili Taylor as Anne Blaine, American Crime
- Kerry Washington as Anita Hill, Confirmation
- Kirsten Dunst as Peggy Blumquist, Fargo
- Audra McDonald as Billie Holiday, Lady Day at Emerson's Bar & Grill
- Sarah Paulson as Marcia Clark, The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story
Outstanding Supporting Actor In A Drama Series
- Jonathan Banks as Mike Ehrmantraut, Better Call Saul • AMC
- Ben Mendelsohn as Danny Rayburn, Bloodline • Netflix
- Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister, Game Of Thrones • HBO
- Kit Harington as Jon Snow, Game Of Thrones • HBO
- Michael Kelly as Doug Stamper, House Of Cards • Netflix
- Jon Voight as Mickey Donovan, Ray Donovan • Showtime
Outstanding Supporting Actress In A Drama Series
- Maura Tierney as Helen Solloway, The Affair • Showtime
- Maggie Smith as Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham, Downton Abbey • PBS
- Lena Headey as Cersei Lannister, Game Of Thrones • HBO
- Emilia Clarke as Daenerys Targaryen, Game Of Thrones • HBO
- Maisie Williams as Arya Stark, Game Of Thrones • HBO
- Constance Zimmer as Quinn King, UnREAL • Lifetime
Outstanding Supporting Actor In A Comedy Series
- Louie Anderson as Christine Baskets, Baskets • FX Networks
- Andre Braugher as Captain Ray Holt, Brooklyn Nine-Nine • FOX
- Keegan-Michael Key as Various characters, Key & Peele • Comedy Central
- Ty Burrell as Phil Dunphy, Modern Family • ABC
- Tituss Burgess as Titus Andromedon, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt • Netflix
- Tony Hale as Gary Walsh, Veep • HBO
- Matt Walsh as Mike McLintock, Veep • HBO
Outstanding Supporting Actress In A Comedy Series
- Niecy Nash as Didi Ortley, Getting On • HBO
- Allison Janney as Bonnie, Mom • CBS
- Kate McKinnon as Various characters, Saturday Night Live • NBC
- Judith Light as Shelly Pfefferman, Transparent • Amazon
- Gaby Hoffmann as Ali Pfefferman, Transparent • Amazon
- Anna Chlumsky as Amy Brookheimer, Veep • HBO
Outstanding Supporting Actor In A Limited Series Or Movie
- Antonio Banderas ("Genius: Picasso")
- Darren Criss ("The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story")
- Benedict Cumberbatch ("Patrick Melrose")
- Jeff Daniels ("The Looming Tower")
- John Legend ("Jesus Christ Superstar")
- Jesse Plemons ("USS Callister")
Outstanding Supporting Actress In A Limited Series Or Movie
- Laura Dern ("The Tale")
- Jessica Biel ("The Sinner")
- Michelle Dockery ("Godless")
- Edie Falco ("The Menendez Murders")
- Regina King ("Seven Seconds")
- Sarah Paulson ("American Horror Story: Cult")
Outstanding Guest Actor In A Comedy Series
- Louie Anderson ("Baskets")
- Alec Baldwin ("Saturday Night Live")
- Tituss Burgess ("Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt")
- Brian Tyree Henry ("Atlanta")
- Tony Shalhoub ("The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel")
- Kenan Thompson ("Saturday Night Live")
- Henry Winkler ("Barry")
Outstanding Guest Actor In A Drama Series
- F. Murray Abraham ("Homeland")
- Cameron Britton ("Mindhunter")
- Matthew Goode ("The Crown")
- Ron Cephas Jones ("This Is Us")
- Gerald McRaney ("This Is Us")
- Jimmi Simpson ("Westworld")
Outstanding Guest Actress In A Comedy Series
- Zazie Beetz ("Atlanta")
- Alex Borstein ("The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel")
- Aidy Bryant ("Saturday Night Live")
- Betty Gilpin ("GLOW")
- Leslie Jones ("Saturday Night Live")
- Kate McKinnon ("Saturday Night Live")
- Laurie Metcalf ("Roseanne")
- Megan Mullally ("Will & Grace")
Outstanding Guest Actress In A Drama Series
- Viola Davis ("Scandal")
- Kelly Jenrette (The Handmaid's Tale")
- Cherry Jones ("The Handmaid's Tale")
- Diana Rigg ("Game of Thrones")
- Cicely Tyson ("How to Get Away With Murder")
- Samira Wiley ("The Handmaid's Tale")
Outstanding Limited Series
- "The Alienist"
- "The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story"
- "Genius: Picasso"
- "Patrick Melrose"
Outstanding Television Movie
- "Fahrenheit 451" (HBO)
- "Flint" (Lifetime)
- "Paterno" (HBO)
- "The Tale" (HBO)
- "Black Mirror: USS Callister" (Netflix)
Outstanding Reality-Competition Program
- "The Amazing Race"
- "American Ninja Warrior"
- "Project Runway"
- "RuPaul's Drag Race"
- "Top Chef"
- "The Voice"
Outstanding Host For A Reality Or Reality-Competition Program
- W. Kamau Bell ("United Shades of America With W. Kamau Bell")
- Ellen DeGeneres ("Ellen's Game of Games")
- RuPaul Charles ("RuPaul's Drag Race")
- Heidi Klum and Tim Gunn ("Project Runway")
- Jane Lynch ("Hollywood Game Night")