Game of Thrones Season 3 Adds 12 New Characters
Last month, we reported that Game of Thrones will be renewed for a third season on HBO. While production hasn't begun quite yet, there will be several new faces in Westeros when the series returns next year. Today we have word that 12 new characters will be added, including two characters connected to Stannis Baratheon (Stephen Dillane). Take a look at the full list along with a brief description of each role.
- Mance Rayder: A former member of the Night's Watch who became the "King Beyond the Wall," the leader of the Wildlings.
- - Daario Naharis: A confident and seductive warrior.
- - Jojen Reed; Meera Reed: A teenage brother and sister duo with special insights.
- - Edmure Tully: A brash young member of the Tully family.
- - Ser Brynden Tully (The Blackfish): Catelyn Stark's uncle.
- - Lady Selyse Florent: Stannis Baratheon's wife.
- - Shireen: Stannis' daughter.
- - Olenna Redwyne (The Queen of Thorns): Margaery Tyrell's sharp-witted grandmother.
- - Beric Dondarrion: A skilled knight who is the leader of the outlaw group Brotherhood Without Banners.
- - Thoros of Myr: A red priest who follows the same religion as Melisandre.
- - Tormund Giantsbane: A Wildling raider.
Game of Thrones Season 3 will be based on the first half of George R.R. Martin's book, A Storm of Swords, the third book in his Song of Fire and Ice series. Season 4 will cover the second half of the 1,216-page book. Series creator David Benioff also said that there are "a few others," who he did not list above, so look for even more characters to pop up when the show returns next spring.