2012 MTV Movie Awards Nominations Announced
The nominees are in for the 2012 MTV Movie Awards, with The Hunger Games and Bridesmaids neck-in-neck with eight nominations each, including the categories "Movie of the Year," "Best Cast" and "Breakthrough Performance." Fans will have the "Power of the Popcorn" in their hands as winner voting opens today, May 1 at 8AM ET/5AM PT, at MovieAwards.MTV.com and will stay open through Saturday, June 2nd. As in previous years, the category of "Movie of the Year" will remain an ongoing battle throughout the live show when the 21st annual 2012 MTV Movie Awards airs live on Sunday, June 3rd at 9pm ET/PT on MTV from the Gibson Amphitheatre in Universal City, California.
The 2012 MTV Movie Awards will put the spotlight on one of the most diverse roster of nominated films in years for the show. Featuring a broad array of movies that resonated with our audience this year, the nominations include both blockbusters and critically acclaimed films such as Drive, Like Crazy, The Descendants, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and My Week with Marilyn. This year's telecast will also be a theatrical throwdown between two funny ladies and an action star as Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy and Jennifer Lawrence all received four nominations each, the most for all female actors nominated. Emma Stone, Emma Watson and Rooney Mara are close on their heels, with three nods each and are in a dead heat in categories like "BEST FEMALE PERFORMANCE." The heat is on for the men too with Channing Tatum, Jonah Hill and Josh Hutcherson receiving four nominations and facing off in categories like "BEST MALE PERFORMANCE," "BEST KISS" and "BEST FIGHT."
Nominees for the 2012 MTV Movie Awards have the following to say about their nominations:
- "21 Jump Street is amazing and the 'Movie Awards.' It's so great to be nominated for anything positive. You don't want to be nominated for 'Best Criminal Activity.'" - Redfoo of LMFAO, nominated in the "BEST MUSIC" category for "Party Rock Anthem" within the 21 Jump Street (Sony Pictures) house party dance scene
- "Does this mean I get to be in a music video?!" - Shailene Woodley, nominated in the "BREAKTHROUGH PERFORMANCE" category for the feature film The Descendants (Fox Searchlight)
Nominees for the 2012 MTV Movie Awards are as follows (*denotes new category/**voted on by an Academy of Directors):
MOVIE OF THE YEAR (voting stays live throughout the 2012 Movie Awards ceremony)
- Bridesmaids - Director: Paul Feig, Producers: Judd Apatow, Barry Mendel, Clayton Townsend (Universal Pictures)
- - The Hunger Games - Director: Gary Ross, Producers: Nina Jacobson, Jon Kilik (Lionsgate)
- - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 - Director: David Yates, Producers: David Heyman, David Barron, J.K. Rowling (Warner Bros. Pictures)
- - The Help - Director: Tate Taylor, Producers: Chris Columbus, Michael Barnathan, Brunson Green (DreamWorks)
- - The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 - Director: Bill Condon, Producers: Karen Rosenfelt, Wyck Godfrey, Stephenie Meyer (Summit Entertainment)
BEST FEMALE PERFORMANCE
- Emma Stone - Crazy Stupid Love (Warner Bros. Pictures)
- - Emma Watson - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 (Warner Bros. Pictures)
- - Jennifer Lawrence - The Hunger Games (Lionsgate)
- - Kristen Wiig - Bridesmaids (Universal Pictures)
- - Rooney Mara - The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Sony Pictures)
BEST MALE PERFORMANCE
BEST COMEDIC PERFORMANCE
- 21 Jump Street (Sony Pictures) - Jonah Hill, Channing Tatum, Ice Cube, Dave Franco, Ellie Kemper, Brie Larson
- - Bridesmaids (Universal Pictures) - Kristen Wiig, Maya Rudolph, Rose Byrne, Melissa McCarthy, Wendi McLendon-Covey, Ellie Kemper
- - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 (Warner Bros. Pictures) - Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint, Tom Felton
- - The Help (DreamWorks) - Emma Stone, Viola Davis, Octavia Spencer, Bryce Dallas Howard, Jessica Chastain
- - The Hunger Games (Lionsgate) - Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Elizabeth Banks, Woody Harrelson, Lenny Kravitz
BEST ON-SCREEN TRANSFORMATION*
- Channing Tatum & Jonah Hill vs. Kid Gang - 21 Jump Street (Sony Pictures)
- - Daniel Radcliffe vs. Ralph Fiennes - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 (Warner Bros. Pictures)
- - Jennifer Lawrence and Josh Hutcherson vs. Alexander Ludwig - The Hunger Games (Lionsgate)
- - Tom Cruise vs. Michael Nyqvist - Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol (Paramount Pictures)
- - Tom Hardy vs. Joel Edgerton - Warrior (Lionsgate)
- Channing Tatum & Rachel McAdams - The Vow (Sony Pictures)
- - Jennifer Lawrence and Josh Hutcherson - The Hunger Games (Lionsgate)
- - Robert Pattinson & Kristen Stewart - The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 (Summit Entertainment)
- - Rupert Grint & Emma Watson - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 (Warner Bros. Pictures)
- - Ryan Gosling & Emma Stone - Crazy Stupid Love (Warner Bros. Pictures)
BEST GUT-WRENCHING PERFORMANCE*
- 21 Jump Street (Sony Pictures) - Jonah Hill & Rob Riggle - Schmidt shoots Coach Walters in the [email protected]
- - Bridesmaids (Universal Pictures) - Kristen Wiig, Maya Rudolph, Rose Byrne, Melissa McCarthy, Wendi McLendon-Covey, Ellie Kemper - Food poisoning turns the girls' dress fitting into a disaster
- - Drive (FilmDistrict) - Ryan Gosling - Elevator beat-down
- - The Help (DreamWorks) - Bryce Dallas Howard - Minny gives Hilly a pie she won't forget
- - Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol (Paramount Pictures) - Tom Cruise - Ethan Hunt scales to new heights
BEST ON-SCREEN DIRTBAG*
- "The Devil is in the Details," The Chemical Brothers - Hanna (Focus Features) - Interrogation scene
- - "Impossible," Figurine - Like Crazy (Paramount Vantage) - Anna texts Jacob from across the pond
- - "Party Rock Anthem," LMFAO - 21 Jump Street (Sony Pictures) - House dance party
- - "Pursuit of Happiness," Kid Cudi (Steve Aoki Remix) - Project X (Warner Bros. Pictures) - The party erupts into chaos
- - "A Real Hero," College w/Electric Youth - Drive (FilmDistrict) - The Driver takes Irene and her son for a fun ride
Chart-topping indie-pop group fun. is the first musical performance announced for the 2012 MTV Movie Awards. fun.'s debut single "We Are Young (feat. Janelle Monae)" off their latest album "Some Nights" held strong at the #1 spot on the Billboard Hot 100 chart for six consecutive weeks.
The 2012 MTV Movie Awards nominees were elected by a special voting Academy, including members of the MTV audience. In addition, the winner of "Breakthrough Performance" will be decided on solely by a special Academy of Directors who will lend their expertise for spotting and developing new talent.
Known as one of the most outrageous and distinctive televised award shows, the 2012 MTV Movie Awards will feature its trademark individuality and irreverence. Fusing the network's musical core with the wonder and amazement of the comedy, drama, adventure and mystery inherent to the movie-going experience, the telecast is set to provide more laughs, surprises and one-of-a-kind moments with Hollywood's biggest stars gathering to honor fan-favorites from the past year.
MovieAwards.MTV.com is the official site for the 2012 MTV Movie Awards where fans can visit to vote and get up-to-date info on this year's show, watch video of last year's biggest occurrences, get the full list of 2011 show winners, and check out fashion and celebrity commentary from the red carpet. Fans will get to vote in 12 categories, including the all-new ones "BEST MUSIC," "BEST ON-SCREEN TRANSFORMATION," "BEST GUT-WRENCHING PERFORMANCE," "BEST CAST," and "BEST ON-SCREEN DIRTBAG."
The 2012 MTV Movie Awards will air across MTV's global network of more than 60 channels reaching more than 600 million households around the world as well as through syndication. In addition, its convergent programming and content will reach the entire interactive community, via MTV's more than 200 digital media properties around the world.